Wednesday, January 11, 2012


Today, I feel compelled to share some facts on depression for those of you out there who are looking to educate yourself some more:

Depression affects about 19 million people in the United States every year.

Nearly half of all college students say they have felt so depressed that they found it difficult to function during the last school year.

Depression may be expressed through various ways including: drug or alcohol abuse; sexual promiscuity; or hostile, aggressive, and risk-taking behavior.

*these sentences were retrieved from the website www.ulifeline.org*

I have expressed my depression in many dangerous ways...I've had relations with some young ladies that were questionable. (I'm blessed to have not contracted an STI up to this point in my life; I make it a point to get myself tested at least twice a year AND SO SHOULD YOU!) I've used mind-altering substances to run away from my thoughts and fears. I've been the "life of the party" for a majority of my time in college; but for what? Is it cool to be that intoxicated to the point that I have zero control over my actions? Is it cool to disrespect young ladies and other young men who were just trying to be my friends? Is it cool to have all eyes on you, feeding off this craving need for attention and love? The answers to all those questions is no, it's not cool. In fact, it's immature and embarrassing when I look back upon it. I don't want to be "cool", I want to be Jordan. I'm now learning ways to turn these cravings and addictions into positives in my life, using my need for attention and "all eyes on me" to spread my word and to educate my peers on topics they may not want to discuss.

I'm sure some of you reading this can relate to that previous paragraph. Don't regret your past however...your past is what led you to this beautiful point in your life and is what makes you the colorful beautiful human being that you are.

Through modern technology, I have been blessed with the platform to share my story. My intention is to help some young man or woman (heck even an older man or woman who may be touched by this) that is/was suffering from depression alone or in silence. You are not alone. Remember, when you have no one else, you have me. We will combat this disease together. I promise to never give up on my life if you promise to never give up on yours. Make me that promise today. Actually no, don't make ME any promise, make YOURSELF that promise...your life is too beautiful to end.

If you have a moment today, check out www.blessedandappreciative.org
It may change your life.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts or feelings.